OK, Tosy did this 100 Things I Love About the Simpsons last month. Then Jaquandor did the same, but said it wasn’t a meme. Now, in honor of the opening of the only summer movie I’m really interested in seeing, I’m doing it, too, but it’s only 50 things. So, is it a meme yet?
1. Mayor Quimby: Now wait just a minute! We’re twice as smart as the people of Shelbyville! Just tell us your idea and we’ll vote for it! (It’s “monorail!”)
2. The evolution of the drawing style from the Tracy Ullman Show.
3. Phil Hartman ‘s many voices.
4. Homer: It takes two to lie, Marge. One to lie and one to listen.
5. Homer: Oh, so they have Internet on computers now!
6. Homer catching Apu “lying in song”; he HATES that.
7. Homer: Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
8. Homer discussing with his brain how $20 can buy LOTS of peanuts. Actually, any debate with Homer and his brain.
9. McCartney, Harrison, and Starr all showing up, separately.
10. “Baby On Board”, with Barney not getting the “Let It Be” reference.
11. Marge: This is the worst thing you’ve ever done.
Homer: You say that so often that it’s lost its meaning.
12. Teen Marge with her hair down.
13. “Hello. I’m Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It’s all lies. But they’re entertaining lies. And in the end, isn’t that the real truth? The answer is: No.”
14. Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner.
15. Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!
16. Bart as “The Raven”.
17. Maude Flanders’ absurd death at a sporting event.
18. Sideshow Bob: Because you need me, Springfield. Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. That’s why I did this: to protect you from yourselves. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a city to run.
19. Homer to Billy Corgan (of the Smashing Pumpkins): Thanks to your gloomy, depressing music, my children no longer hope for the future I can not afford to give them.
Corgan: Yeah, we try to make a difference.
20. Grandpa: I’m an old man, no one listens to me.
Lisa: I’m a young girl, no one listens to me.
Homer: I’m a white male aged 18 to 49, everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are.
21. Lisa: Why are you dedicating your life to blasphemy?
Homer: Don’t worry, sweetheart. If I’m wrong, I’ll recant on my deathbed.
22. Proctor: All right, here’s your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter–
Proctor: Wait, wait… just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir.
23. The classic A Streetcar Named Desire musical.
24. The Itchy and Scratchy theme song.
25. Homer: To start, press any key. Where’s the ANY key?
26. “Everything’s coming up Milhouse.”
27. “Mmmmmmm…” Whatever, donuts, initially, but just about anything that’s unhealthy, unsafe or ill-advised.
28. The various end theme variations
29. The three-eyed fish.
30. Homer: I love these lazy Saturdays!
Marge: But Homey, it’s Wednesday.
31. Bart: I never thought it was humanly possible, but this both sucks and blows.
32. Homer: I was working on a flat tax proposal and I accidentally proved there’s no God!
33. The opening credits when they all rush to the couch in so many different ways.
34. Kent Brockman’s Eye on Springfield montage.
35. Lisa’s wedding.
36. Lisa’s birthday – Bart DOES love his sister.
37. Tony Bennett’s Capital City song.
38. Homer: It’s wonderful, Marge. I’ve never felt so accepted in all my life. These people looked deep within my soul and assigned me a number based on the order in which I joined.
39. Jerry Ford inviting Homer over for beer and nachos.
40. Apu: An all-syrup Super Squishy? Such a thing has not been done!
41. Bart gets a nice photo of himself made for his mom for Christmas; indeed, any time Bart’s dressed up.
42. “Who keeps the metric system down? We do! We do!”
43. The Krusty Comeback Special.
44. Homer: Marge, I’m not gonna lie to you. Well, goodbye!
45. Marge’s flirtation with her bowling instructor.
46. Maggie’s first word, unheard by anyone else.
47. Homer: And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
48. Homer: I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
49: Ralph: Me fail English? That’s unpossible.
50. Bart: Your half-assed underparenting is a lot more fun than your half-assed overparenting.
Tosy returns with his Top 10 episodes. Gordon is looking forward to the movie, too.