The Sunday Stealing this week is based on the word If.
1. If you were to be granted one wish, what would it be?
The ability to sleep through the night, he wrote at 12:50 a.m., after going to bed two hours earlier.
2. If you could spend one night alone with anyone in the world who is currently alive, whom would you select?
I’m assuming other than my wife. A number of friends would qualify. If we’re talking about someone who’s a stranger to me, Richard Branson. He’s the most interesting billionaire I could think of at this hour.
3. If you could spend one night alone with anyone in history, whom would you choose?
Sojourner Truth. I’d want her to know that my college alma mater has a library named for her.
4. If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?
Hawai’i, where I hope it’s less hot and humid.
5. If you could have lived through any war in history (without actually fighting in it), which would it be?
The Grenada invasion of 1983 was very short. I do think was a ruse to distract Americans from the fact that an explosion in a U.S. military installation in Lebanon had killed over 240 U.S. troops only days earlier.
6. If you could eliminate one type of insect permanently from the earth, what would you get rid of?
7. If you had to eliminate any single type of animal forever, which would you choose?
Isn’t an insect also an animal? Anyway, I went to the Invasive Species Profiles List and picked the Zebra Mussel.
What DO I covet?
8. If you could have an elegant dinner alone with anyone presently alive, whether you know them or not, who would you want it to be?
I’ll go with Angela Merkel, assuming we had a translator or her English is WAY better than my English. My MIL is reading a book about her.
9. If you could alter one physical characteristic of your mate, what would it be?
She would probably say of herself to lose a little weight, but it’s really not a concern of mine except as it’s a concern of hers.
10. If you could change one thing about your childhood, what would it be?
Maybe a bigger house, with a real bedroom.
11. If you could have any room in the world become your bedroom, which room would you choose?
Any decent-sized library, where I could put my books and music.
12. If you could alter one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?
Now I would like to lose weight.
13. If you could have stopped aging at any point in your life up to the present, how old would you wish to remain?
I was 51 when my daughter was born, so I’ll say that.
14. If you could suddenly possess an extraordinary talent in one of the arts, what would you like it to be?
15. If you could have permanent possession of any single object in the world, what would you want it to be?
I don’t know. What do I covet? Hmm. I suppose some expensive piece of art or jewelry so I could sell it and do good things. Which of course violates the permanent possession part, now doesn’t it?