This Sunday Stealing has summery things, though a lot of it has little to do with the season.
1. Favorite thing to do during the summer?
Go to the Mac Hadyn Theatre, about an hour away in Chatham, NY. A lot of young adults doing amazing things on a small stage. We hadn’t been since 2019.
2. Favorite cold food/dessert/drink that gets you through the summer heat?
Probably lemonade. Or an Arnold Palmer, which is half lemonade, half iced tea.
3. Gone to a drive-in movie
The last time I went, they were showing all five Planet of the Apes movies. I think I fell asleep during the last one. As a kid, we went to the drive-in a few times. I specifically remember seeing The Dirty Dozen at the drive-in near the Binghamton, NY airport.
4. What are you planning to do this summer?
Now that my wife is retired, get things fixed. Notably, the back porch has a roof that is crumbling. See more theater.
5. Did the pandemic ruin any summer plans? If so, what?
We were supposed to have an Olin family reunion in St. Paul/Minneapolis area in 2021. We did a ZOOM thing, which was better than it might have been, but hardly an adequate substitute.
6. Rode on any water mobile (jetski, ferry, boat, etc)
I’ve taken the Staten Island ferry from Manhattan several times. We crossed the Lake Champlain on two different ferries.
7. Gone to a summer camp
A few times as a kid. Didn’t love it. Worked at one when I was 17; a mixed bag.
8. Been to any Asian country (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite?)
No, but I’d go to Japan because it’s Japan. But I’m fascinated with Singapore. It’s a city! It’s a country!
9. Been to any African country (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)
No, but I’m interested in Liberia because it was founded by people who once lived in the United States. And if I could figure out my roots, I’d go to Nigeria because I am 20% Nigerian per my DNA test.
10. Been to any North American country (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)
Well, I live in the United States. I’ve been to Mexico and Canada. And Barbados, which is practically in South America, on our honeymoon, a second-place prize from when I was on JEOPARDY. So that.
11. Been to any South American country (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)
No. I’d go to Uruguay because the weather seems temperate. And I like saying Montevideo.
12. Been to any Australian country (if not, where would you go and why? if yes, where was your favorite and why?)
What a peculiar question, since Australia IS a country. I’m guessing they’re going for that vast Oceania region. In any case, I’m picking New Zealand. I’d go visit Arthur.
And it appears that the quiz came from someone who is European because they don’t ask about that continent. I’ll pick Ireland because I am 26% Irish. Also, France so I could visit my friend Deborah.
13. Gone to a festival/fair
Often. County fairs, NY State Fair.
14. Gone to an amusement park
Frequently. Coney Island, Eldridge Park in Elmira, NY, and a couple Six Flags locations.
15. Binge watched 5 different TV show series (what were they)
I HATE binge-watching. It makes my brain hurt. I like to watch a variety of programs. Maybe I might watch JEOPARDY, then the news, then a drama. I may have watched three Dick Van Dyke episodes on a DVD once. FIVE? No way. Now my daughter can binge with police procedurals.