Since you asked: will I participate in Sunday Stealing this week? Why, yes, I will.
1) What one event from your lifetime would you change if you could, and why?
The outcome of the Presidential election of 2016. It led to the Big Lie and the January 6 riots. It’s also caused a lot of people to lose their bearings. An article in the New York Times asked What in the World Happened to Elise Stefanik? She is a member of Congress in the district adjacent to mine.
“There was a time in 2016 when Elise Stefanik, now the third-ranking Republican in the House, was so disgusted by Donald Trump that she would barely mention his name. Today he proudly refers to her as ‘one of my killers.'” [That’s a good thing, apparently.]
2) If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be, and how old would your younger self be when they got it? Do you think your younger self would listen?
To leave a particular job in 1998. Or certainly by 2005. And no.
3) Would you be any good on Survivor?
No, because I haven’t the energy for that level of manipulation and deception.
4) What’s a safety rule that’s very important to you?
Keeping aisles clear of items that might trip someone, and signage for wet floors, essentially anything that might create a hazard in which someone could trip and fall, slip and fall, et al.
We blew it
5) What would you like to say to people in the future?
Are there people in the future? Sorry, we screwed up your planet so much.
6) What’s your favorite dish to bring to a summer cookout?
7) How much time have you spent outdoors this week?
As little as possible because it’s Too Darn Hot. Also, because of my vitiligo.
8) Where do you set your thermostat?
My wife controls the thermostat. It’s too warm in the summer and too cold in winter.
9) How did you learn to swim?
I don’t swim well. But when I was growing up, my grandma’s next-door neighbors had an above-ground pool, so I learned to hold my breath for over a minute and do perfunctory strokes.
10) How do you avoid overheating?
Take a shower and then sit in front of a fan. Or the air conditioner if it’s available.
11) What are you going to do this weekend?
Go to church. Talk with my sisters on ZOOM.
12) What’s your favorite way to spend time?
Listen to music. Always.
13) What’s the most useless thing you own that you would never get rid of?
Mementos of certain weddings I’ve attended.
14) Have you started planning your next vacation?
Yes and no. My wife has this vague notion of going to NYC to see some Broadway shows this fall. But NYC is COVID-red presently, so we are wary of planning anything.
15) Are you very active, or do you prefer to just relax in your free time, or is it one and the same for you?
I’m more active by necessity.