This week’s Sunday Stealing is Favorites.
1. What is your favorite accent?
It varies. Sometimes it’s French. I love the sound of even mundane French words. My high school French is all but gone. “Je m’appelle Roger Vert.”
Other times, it’s Italian, which has a lot of musical terms, some of which I know.
2. What is your favorite animal?
In what context? I like the idea of the kangaroo and its pouch. The ant’s industriousness is impressive. But I don’t want them in my house.
I’m a cat person, though my male feline, Midnight, is demented.
3. What is your favorite band?
Historically, it’s always been The Beatles. But there are LOTS of bands I’ve loved, such as Talking Heads and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Speaking of the latter, John Fogerty just got the rights to his songs back after a half-century.
Other artists aren’t in what are “bands” but groups such as the Supremes and the Temptations—or solo artists such as Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin.
4. What is your favorite childhood book?
Bartholemew and the Oobleck by Dr. Seuss. Speaking truth to power.
5. What is your favorite color?
Green’s up there. Or blue. Or blue/green.
6. What is your favorite drink?
It’s Diet Cherry Pepsi, but it’s TERRIBLE for me for a lot of reasons. Lemonade, I guess.
7. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
8. What is your favorite place on the planet?
IDK. It would have to be near water. My favorite specific event was going out on a pier in Galveston, TX, in 1996 or 1997 at five a.m. and watching the tide come in.
9. What is your favorite sandwich?
There is a 2014 movie called Chef, starring Jon Favreau. The title character makes a Cubano that is practically food porn. On rare occasions, I’ve had one; stellar.
10. What is your favorite swear word?
Growing up, not only were obvious even mild epithets disallowed, but also their tame equivalents, such as darn, sugar, BS, and jeepers creepers.
I have a friend of mine whose use of the word @$$h0!e is quite exquisite, but I don’t have the artistry to pull it off. Mine is probably bull$h!t, which I’ve used far more in the past eight years than before.
11. What is your favorite thing to wear?
Caps in summer and wool hats in the winter to protect my head from the sun. I have approximately 1.37 zillion T-shirts, usually with designs. Sneakers, almost always sneakers.
12. What is your favorite food to eat on a rainy day?
Macaroni and cheese.
13. What is your favorite food to eat on a sunny day?
Fruit cocktail and cottage cheese.
14. What is your favorite number?
37. If I played sports, that would be my number unless it was unavailable, in which case I’d take 73. They’re both primes.
15. What is your favorite snack?
Golden Oreos, which purist friends of mine say can’t be REAL Oreos because REAL Oreos are chocolate. Sure, whatever.