When I was a kid, my birthday was always during Lent. I was always bummed by that, because I thought I was always supposed to be giving up something at a point when I wanted to, well, GET stuff.
Now, I revisit the idea of Lent as more of a reflective time.
Incidentally, my birthday was on Shrove Tuesday in 2000, and it’ll be during the Mardi Gras period again in 2038.
Purloined from Tosy and Cosh.
1. Smoked cigarettes – Yes, about two dozen total in the late 1970s, usually while drinking.
2. Smoked a cigar – I tried once, couldn’t do it.
3. Broken a CD – Not “smashed”, but I spilled Coke on one, and it was irrevocably wrecked.
4. Crashed a friend’s car – Well, actually not wrecked, but I did once knock over a Dumpster while going in reverse when I wanted to be going forward.
5. Stolen a car – Well, technically, no.
6. Been in love – Oh, yeah….
7. Been dumped – A number of times, the last time by e-mail.
8. Shoplifted – When I was a kid, chewing gum. Got caught, had to bring it back and apologize. Mortifying.
9. Been fired – No, although I did quit one job because I feared being fired. Also, I HATED the job, so no great loss, except financially.
10. Been in a fist fight – Yes. Three times, when I was 7, 11, and 16, none initiated by me, and at least two of which will be blog fodder for the future.
11. Snuck out of your house – Oh, yeah, to see HS girlfriend.
12. Had feelings for someone who didn’t have them back – sure.
13. Been arrested – Yes, intentionally. May 8, 1972. There’s a story there, too.
14. Made out with a stranger – Yes, at a Halloween party 20 years ago.
15. Gone on a blind date – No.
16. Lied to a friend – Undoubtedly, probably “for their own good”, or so I thought at the time.
17. Had a crush on a teacher – Yes, 12th grade English.
18. Skipped school – I had perfect attendance from 3rd to 11th grade. 12th grade? Not so perfect.
19. Slept with a co-worker – Yes, unfortunately. When you break up and you’re still working together, it’s tricky. Especially when our mutual boss abdicated, making me her boss.
20. Seen someone die – No, but I’ve been there within the hour a couple times – my great uncle Ed and my father.
21. Been on a plane – Yes., most recently a year ago. It’s like a flying bus; I don’t much like it.
22. Thrown up in a bar – No.
23. Taken painkillers – Yes, given to me by my father, for soexcrruciatinging pain some two decades ago.
24. Love someone or miss someone right now – Oh, my, yes.
25. Laid on your back and watched cloud shapes go by – Yes, and I will again.
26. Made a snow angel – Yes.
27. Played dress up – Yes.
28. Cheated while playing a game – Not to my recollection.
29. Been lonely – Yes.
30. Fallen asleep at work/school – Yes
31. Used a fake id – Don’t think so.
32. Felt an earthquake – Yes, and at least twice in upstate New York.
33. Touched a snake – I think so, but I’m honestly not sure.
34. Ran a red light – No.
35. Been suspended from school – No.
36. Had detention – Don’t think so.
37. Been in a car accident – At least three, one bad enough to put me in the hospital for a couple days. and physical therapy for six weeks.
38. Hated the way you look – Yes. there are these dreadful glasses I had when I was 13.
39. Witnessed a crime – I’d say so. I was walking with my mother and this loutish man was screaming at and shoving a woman. I wanted to intercede, but my mother was nervous, so I ran home and called the cops.
40. Pole danced – My, no.
41. Been lost – When I was three or four, I went exploring at Ross Park. I didn’t think I was lost, butparentstly my partents did.
42. Been to the opposite side of the country – Yes.
43. Felt like dying – Yes, but not lately.
44. Cried yourself to sleep – Yes, but not lately.
45. Played cops and robbers – Probably.
46. Sang karaoke – Strangely, no. Not adverse to it, just never happened. Did sing live, background vocals to “Disco Inferno” a couple years ago, which was interesting.
47. Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t – Sure, usually involving food.
48. Laughed till some kind of beverage came out of your nose – Probably.
49. Caught a snowflake on your tongue – Of course.
50. Kissed in the rain – Absolutely.
51. Sing in the shower – Yes, but only at home, not at the Y.
52. Made love in a park – Yes.
53. Had a dream that you married someone – Yes.
54. Glued your hand to something – Don’t think so.
55. Got your tongue stuck to a flag pole – No, but saw the movie.
56. Worn the opposite sex’s clothes – See my Halloween post
57. Had an orgasm – Oh, come on!
58. Sat on a roof top – Not nearly often enough.
59. Didn’t take a shower for a week – Yes, when I was living at my grandmother’s house in 1975.
60. Ever too scared to watch scary movies alone – No. I tend to avoid them alone or with companions.
61. Played chicken – By this, I assume he means the “Funky Chicken” – yes.
62. Been pushed into a pool with all your clothes on – Not “pushed”, but I’ve gone in voluntarily a few times.
63. Been told you’re hot by a complete stranger- No. Dammit.
64. Broken a bone – No.
65. Been easily amused – I write a blog, don’t I?
66. Laugh so hard you cry – Yes, at the scene of “Young Frankenstein” with the blind man. There have been other times since.
67. Mooned/flashed someone – No.
68. Cheated on a test – Yes. 9th grade biology. Didn’t get caught either, but I regretted it greatly.
69. Forgotten someone’s name – I am absolutely awful with names. Horrible. Everyone should wear nametags.
70. Slept naked – In the summer.
71. Gone skinny dipping in a pool- Yes, and also in a pond.
72. Been kicked out of your house – No.
73. Blacked out from drinking – No.
74. Played a prank on someone – Probably, little things, nothing cruel.
75. Gone to a late night movie – The first was Rocky Horror.
76. Made love to anything not human – Nope.
77. Failed a class – a pre-law course in college.
78. Choked on something you’re not supposed to eat – Don’t think so.
79. Played an instrument for more than 10 hours – No.
80. Cheated on a gf/bf – Unfortunately. I’ve come to the conclusion that you don’t have to actually have physical intimacy to cheat.
81. Ate a whole package of Oreos – Maybe half, not lately.
82. Thrown strange objects – I don’t know what this means. Like cows?
83. Felt like killing someone – Metaphorically? Sure. Literally? Probably not.
84. Thought about running away – Yes.
85. Ran away – No.
86. Did drugs – Occasional MJ use over 20 years ago. And didn’t much enjoy it. Tended to make me sleepy.
87. Had detention and not attend it – No.
88. Yelled at parents – Don’t think so.
89. Made parent cry – Not that I can recall.
90. Cried over someone – Oh, heck, yeah.
91. Owned more than 5 puppies – Puppies? No. I’ve had one dog in my whole life. Once had three kittens at the same time.
92. Dated someone more than once – I assumed “dated” means, “had a dating relationship with”. Yes, and with more than one person.
93. Have a dog – No.
94. Have a cat – Not for a couple decades.
95. Own an instrument – Yes. A tambourine, some other percussion.
96. Been in a band – Folk trio- yes. Rock band? No.
97. Had more than 25 sodas in one day – My stars, no.
98. Made out with a member of the same sex – Nope. Mildly curious many years ago.
99. Shot a gun – My grandfather’s rifle when I was 7. Landed on my keister.
100. Been online for more than 5 hours straight – Possible, but unlikely.