An odd series of circumstances has gotten me writing about music far more than usual. I’d picked this meme for Monday, then needed a Q for Tuesday. I realized that I wanted to do birthday things for Billy Joel, Bono/U2 and tomorrow’s topic. I once said that sometimes the blog pieces write themselves; well, occasionally, the blog ORDER does likewise.
1. What are you listening to right now?
The Beatles Mono Box. Specifically the Past Masters, the singles, B-sides, etc.
2. What song(s) make(s) you sad?
Goodness, LOTS of songs make me sad. There are whole categories: requiems (requia?) from Mozart to Faure; certain romantic songs – such as Stay With Me by Lorraine Ellison or Gone Away by Roberta Flack. Sometimes, songs that I love that I hadn’t heard lately make me cry, such as the Blue Moon solo on Cream’s Sunshine of Your Love.
3. What is the most annoying song in the world?
Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. Wait, it’s Dominick the Donkey.
4. Your all time favorite band?
Beatles (all time)
5. Your newly discovered band is?
I don’t know that there is one. The new music I get tends to be the same artists I’ve been buying. For instance, Levon Helm from the Band. indeed, anyone I DO discover tends to be a solo artist, such as Corrinne Bailey Rae, whose album The Sea I recommend.
6. Best female voice?
Julie Andrews. Or maybe Judy Collins.
7. Best male voice?
Nat King Cole.
8. Music type you find yourself listening to most?
Fairly eclectic, but rock mostly.
9. What do you listen to, to hype you up?
Anything with an insistent baseline, such as The Spencer Davis Group’s Keep On Running.
10. What do you listen to when you want to calm down?
Classical music, probably Bach.
11. Last gig/concert you went to?
Springsteen, last year.
12. Band you find yourself listening to the most right now?
Well, RIGHT now, I tend to listen to people whose birthday is in this week in May: Bono (U2), Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, David Byrne (Talking Heads).
13. Most hated band?
I don’t think about bands I dislike. They tend to slip out of my mind.
14. Song that makes you think?
LOTS of songs make me think. Lenten songs, for one group.
15. Band that you think the world should love as much as you do?
I don’t care what other people like; they can do what they want.
16. Coolest music video?
Ever? “Sledgehammer” by Peter Gabriel. But I haven’t watched them in forever.
17. Music video with the most babe watch?
Robert Palmer’s? Have no idea.
18. What do you play/would you play in the bedroom to spice things up?
19. Can you play a musical instrument?
20. Ever been in a mosh pit?
21. Are you in a band?
No, but I’m in a choir. But in junior high, we tried to form a band called Ralphie’s Moonies. Had a hit song called “Pool Shark” that I still remember.
23. Ever dated a musician?
Yes. My wife played the clarinet in high school. Also, I went out with a singer for a time.
28. Do you wish yourself that you were a musician?
Some days. Or maybe I am.<11–more–>
29. Best chick band you know of?
The Dixie Chicks, I guess.
Continue reading “Music Meme”