The Sunday Stealing proprietor was a year older yesterday. So in honor of Bev’s birthday – the big 8-0; and thinking of mine next month- though I’m a decade younger – some natal day questions.
1. What is the best thing about your birthday?
For years, when I was working, I’d take off the day. If my birthday were on a Saturday, I’d take off Friday; if it was on Sunday, then Monday.
I’ve had a hearts game at home, most years for a decade. It is held on the weekend before or after my natal day. Two years ago, we jerry-rigged something online. And last year, I didn’t hold it because of the resurgence of COVID. But this year, for sure. I let the players know six months ahead of time.
2. What is your favorite thing to do for your birthday?
On my birthday, I’ve gone to the movies, then out to eat.
3. What’s one thing you learned in the past year?
I hate ZOOM, mainly when it involves more than nine people. I knew that before, but it’s become codified irritation.
4. What do you wish for in the next year?
It’s already happened, which is that next year, I won’t be in charge of something I was ostensibly in charge of for at least the past dozen years. I am HAPPY.
5. What’s the best thing about turning a year older?
Mostly, at this point, it’s better than the alternative.
‘Til my daddy takes my Tbird away
6. What was the most fun thing you did in the last year?
I saw a lot of plays, musicals, and movies, which I did not attend nearly as often the previous year, if at all, because of COVID. I’ve already seen more films in cinemas during 2023 thus far than in all 2021 and 2022 combined.
7. If you could understand any animal, which would it be?
Cats. Specifically my cats.
8. What is something that used to be hard but is now easy?
I’m much better at expressing my opinion. The blog helps. Getting older and cantankerous is helpful too.
9. If you could only keep one thing in your room, what would it be?
It’s a metal box with a lot of genealogical material.
10. Which person makes you laugh the most? Why?
My daughter, because she’s very witty.
11. If you could go back in time, when and where would you go?
Nah. Every era has its problems.
12. If you were to bury a secret treasure, where would you bury it?
If I had a secret treasure and told you where it was, then that would be a very poor secret.
13. What is your favorite memory?
OY! So many. I liked playing racquetball from 1983 to 2010 at the Albany YMCA two to five days a week with Don, Tom, Jennifer, Norm, Fred, Mike, Alan, Dan, Charlie, Tyrone, Ward (who cheated), and others.
14. How have you helped others lately?
I helped my collegiate daughter with a homework assignment.
Here’s something I’m doing today. My wife is serving communion today at church. This entails preparing the sacrament and cleaning up afterward. But she’s ALSO scheduled to count the money after church with another person. So I said I’d help with the communion cleanup with her communion partner.
15. If you had to repeat a day over and over, how you’d want it to go?
Breakfast of oatmeal and various fruits (banana, strawberries, blueberries, et al.) Work on Wordle and my blog. Snack on grapes. Get a massage. Lunch of eggs (prepared by someone else), toast, and cottage cheese. Read, eat an apple. Take a nap. Dinner, probably chicken, broccoli, mashed potatoes, and spinach. Attend choir rehearsal. Come home and eat apple pie a la mode while watching JEOPARDY and the news.