This week’s quiz from the League of Extraordinary Penpals is Sunday Stealing- Thanksgiving, which is coming up in the United States on Thor’s Day.
1. People I’d like to thank and why
Too many. But thanks to Jeff Sharlet, author of The Undertow: Scenes from a Slow Civil War, whom I’ve known since he was six, for our breakfast on Saturday; KD, whom I’ve known since kindergarten, for our breakfast on Friday; and the Bible Guys, with whom I had breakfast on Thursday.
2. Something I rebelled against as a kid
Wearing ties. I was right; they’re legalized nooses.
3. What I need to accomplish before the end of the year
I have a reimbursement program for my medical expenses. I must submit them, and it is an extraordinarily tedious process, but I need the money, well over $1000.
4. Guilty pleasures right now
I don’t believe in them. Guilt is highly overrated. BTW, I’m presently listening to ABBA.
5. Local landmarks
6. Cause or purpose I deeply believe in
I attended a panel discussion this week about book bans and challenges. Someone read a list of some of the most challenged books. As a retired librarian, I find the activity deeply unsettling, especially as these actions are often stirred up by a group not even in the communities.
No can do
7. Things I never learned to do
Type, drive, or enjoy beets.
8. Seasonal traditions I’m always excited for
My wife has three days off from work in a row.
9. Something I’d like to be mentored on
Genealogy. I’m trying to find my great-grandmother’s birth certificate, Margaret (or Marguerite) Collins Williams (May 1865-August 8, 1931), and find her parents’ names. They are not on her death certificate.
10. Exotic animals I wish I could keep as pets
Goats. They could mow our lawn, and I’d lend them to the neighbors.
11. Something normal to me that might be odd to others
I always hear music, even when it’s not playing.
12. The last book I quit reading and why
Possibly Brothers In Arms by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anthony Walton because I got busy. I may return to it because Morgan Freeman has executive produced a documentary about the 761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers that should be on the History Channel. The Kareem book is about that very entity.
13. Right now, I appreciate…
Good mass transit in Albany, NY. Thanks, CDTA. The Purple Line buses were free for the first two weeks, ending today.
Not ready for Christmas
14. When “the holiday season” starts for me
December 1 is when Kelly starts his Daily Dose of Christmas. It does NOT begin on November 1, even though the TV ads want me to think so.
15. Holiday foods and treats I love the most
I like fruit pies. Not so much pumpkin but apple or cherry.
16. “Terrible” movies that I actually like
17. Cooking all day for holiday dinner vs. ordering carry-out
We’ll probably have food prepared by others.
18. If I were trapped in a holiday movie, I’d pick…
Miracle on 34th Street. I’ve only seen it once, so I would tire of it less quickly.
19. Which holiday tradition I wish lasted all year long
A perhaps insincere attempt at civility.
20. Favorite books, music, TV, and movies this month