5. Did you ever get into a bar and drink before you were 21?
Yes, I was 18. Then again, the legal age for drinking at the time was 18. I’m not convinced that 21 is better.
6. What countries have you been to?
Here’s a repeat question: Canada, Mexico, Barbados, USA.
7. Do you watch MTV anymore?
No, and in the early 1980s, I watched it a lot. Even watched the first three seasons of The Real World in the early 1990s.
8. What do you think about Oprah?
She’s rich, she’s occasionally interesting, but she needs someone else to be on the cover of her magazine.
10. You need a new pair of jeans: what store do you go to first?
Don’t wear jeans.
11. Did you ever watch The O.C.?
Not even accidentally for five minutes.
12. What kind of car do you drive?
Our car is a Toyota Avalon, not from a year in the recall.
13. Honestly, is that car insured?
If you knew my wife, you wouldn’t ask such a silly question. Of course it is.
14. Do you like sushi?
Not particularly. But my wife does.
15. Have you ever been to Tiffany & Co. or Saks 5th Ave?
Saks a long time ago; probably Tiffany’s as well, but not positive.
16. Did your parents spoil you growing up?
No. The curse of the firstborn. Now, my grandmothers did or tried.
17. Do you like roller coasters?
Used to. Haven’t ridden in years, except for a pretty dinky one at the North Pole, NY a couple of years ago.
18. What magazine(s) do you buy regularly or subscribe to?
TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, Ebony, Newsweek.
19. Do you remember the old WB show “Popular”?
I laugh when I read the words “old show” and “WB” in the same sentence. In any case, I remember that it existed, but never saw it, never wanted to see it.
20. When you go out do you prefer to go to a dance club or to a bar?
I’ve done both, though not recently. Bar, I suppose.
21. What do you think about gay marriage?
Should be legal.
22. Who do you think will be the next president?
Much to my surprise, Bobby Jindal, governor of Louisiana.
23. Are you registered to vote?
24. Do you own an iPad?
25. Is your bathroom filled with beauty stuff?
26. What do you normally smell like?
Well, lessee. I have no aftershave. I use unscented deodorant, unscented shampoo, unscented soap. I smell like me.
27. Do you like Carrie Underwood?
I was watching when she won on American Idol and has turned out to be more successful than I would have imagined. Don’t own any of her music.
28. Been to “The Vegas”?
“The Vegas”? Really? No, in any case.
29. How far away do you live from your parents?
772.55 miles from my mother. My father is deceased.
30. Are you happy with your job?
Usually, though occasionally we get some rather “interesting” questions.
31. Where do you work and what do you do there?
I work at the New York State Small Business Development Center as a business librarian. I help find things that the clients of SBDC counselors ask about their businesses, from industry trends to demographics to regulations.
32. What did you get in the mail today?
Bills and a catalog.
33. How do you like your steak cooked?
As rare as possible.
34. Britney Spears…is she back?
Back from where? Don’t own any of her music either. I was skimming a People magazine and she seemed happy with her boyfriend.
35. What do you usually order at Taco Bell?
There is a Taco Bell less than three miles from my house and I don’t think I’ve ever been to it. Pass.
36. Have you ever sat all the way through Gone With the Wind?
37. Have you ever been to Mt Rushmore?
No, but my wife has before we were married.
38. Is it just me, or was The Marine (w/John Cena) a really horrible movie?
I have no idea what this is.
39. Are surveys like the cocaine of myspace?
More the marijuana.
40. Where is your favorite place (that you have actually been to)?
Either Montreal or San Francisco.
41. What is your favorite candle scent
It’s been decades since I had scented candles. Something woody, I guess, maybe pine.
42. Do you believe places can really be haunted?
I leave open the possibility.
43. Do you smoke cigarettes?
No. Not are they unhealthy, they make you stink.
44. Have you ever been to NYC or LA?
Lived in NYC for four months in the summer of 1977 (ah, the Summer of Sam!), and have visited a number of times, though not since the Daughter was born. The closest I got to LA was Anaheim Stadium.
45. How many states have you been to where all you saw was the airport?
Now that I’ve been to Chicago a couple of years ago, none.
46. Do you think 50 questions is enough?
47. Are you currently planning a trip?
Yes, to Ontario next year. That’s why we waited for 2 hours to get my daughter a passport on July 12, the last day of the old rates. BTW, it arrived on August 14.
48. Is Ryan Seacrest gay? Should anyone care?
I have no idea, though, in that same People magazine, he seemed to be hanging out with one of those dancers from one of those dance shows (Julianne Hough?)
Well, I don’t care. People will care about what they will care about, whether I think they should or not. People, you shouldn’t care about this celebrity minutiae! Nope, didn’t work.
49. Do you take anti-depressants? Sleeping pills?
No, and not lately.
50. What do you think about space travel?
All things being equal – and they never are, of course – I’m in favor. but don’t really want to be doing it myself.