1. What’s the best beach or lake day you can remember?
I had torn the nail of the big toe of my left foot when I was about 12. The family went down to Jones Beach, on the south shore of Long Island. I’m not much of a beach person, but I did wade in the water. The saltwater did a remarkable job in healing the nail.
2. Describe your ideal picnic lunch
I’m pretty flexible. Bread that you tear apart. Cheeses of various types. Fried chicken and deviled eggs -the mother and child reunion. Lemonade. Grapes.
3. What flowers are in your bouquet?
Tulips, which we planted one very warm December 1. Lilacs: we had a bush next to our house growing up. Beyond that, whatever.
4. Silly ways to pass the time during a snowstorm
Whatever “silly” things one could do are not coming to me. If I’m snowed in and have things to read and, ideally, some music, I’m fine. With the right people, I’d play cards and/or board games.
5. The most beautiful house you’ve ever visited.
I suppose one of the Newport mansions.
6. Best place you ever dined
When we were on our honeymoon vacation in Barbados in 1999, we could dine at one of three or four establishments as part of our all-inclusive package. All of the food was fabulous.
7. How many layers to your ice cream sandwich?
Sandwich, ice cream, sandwich. What more does one need?
8. Pretty things, which are faux patent leather
Literally, I have no idea.
9. What is the best way to eat chocolate?
Is there a bad way to eat chocolate? I always thought that fondue was wonderfully decadent.
10. Describe your unicorn’s special magic
The daughter of one of my oldest friends had a large stuffed unicorn. She, the daughter, thought that my daughter ought to have her unicorn. And it became so. Here are my daughter and Uni back in 2010.
11. All the fruits in your fruit salad
Blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, peaches, and mac apples.
12. Describe the soil, grass, trees, flowers, and rocks in your magical forest.
I think we started with perfectly fine soil, grass, et al., but we’re wrecking it.
13. The lyrics which move you the most are:
NUMEROUS. Here are the first that came to mind:
And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time
– Wichita Lineman by Jimmy Webb
14. What are the best sauces in the world?
Hollandaise, sweet and sour, and marinara are the first to come to mind; there are probably plenty of others.
15. Write a haiku about nature
Climate change is real.
Droughts, fires, floods, catastrophes.
We must act right now.
[Yes, I checked: fire can be one syllable or two]